Through years of experience, SMC has established itself as a training expert in the field of negotiation, mediation and conflict management in Singapore and the region. Our workshops are highly-rated for their proven teaching methodologies, interactive content and highly energised teaching environment.
Mediation Advocacy: How to be an Effective Lawyer during Mediation
Next Course Dates:
14 to 15 March 2016 (POSTPONED)
Registration Fee (Inclusive of GST)
The 2-day workshop on Mediation Advocacy: How to be an Effective Lawyer during Mediation is specially tailored for lawyers and in-house counsel who represent their clients or organisations in mediating civil disputes, whether in court or in pre-litigation contentious matters.
Mediation has been steadily growing in prominence in Singapore and has become an integral part of the legal landscape. As mediation has now assumed a greater role in the resolution of legal disputes, lawyers have to be equipped to represent their clients in mediation as effectively as in a trial.
The mediation process requires communication and negotiation skills that differ greatly from trial advocacy. The lawyer has to work collaboratively with the other lawyer to secure a negotiated settlement, whilst always protecting his client’s interests. This workshop will enable lawyers to have a better understanding of their role in mediation and therefore better serve their clients by getting the best possible results.
What You Can Expect to Learn:
- Have a better understanding of the mediation process
- Be equipped with the essential knowledge and skills required for more effective mediation advocacy
- Be better equipped in helping your clients to assess the suitability of mediation for the dispute
- Know how to effectively prepare for mediation – selecting your mediator, preparation of case summary and supporting documents, preparing your client
- Help maximise your client’s settlement benefits
- Understand the institutional (judicial) perspective on mediation
- Be familiar with the legal issues in mediation
Who Should Attend:
- Lawyers and in-house counsel who want to learn more about mediation advocacy
- Lawyers and in-house counsel who want to learn how to represent clients at mediation
Continuing Professional Development Points (CPD):
The Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE) has accredited this workshop as follows:
- CPD Points for Lawyers: 12
- Practice Area: Professional Skills
- Training Category: Foundation
Participants who require CPD Points should indicate their ‘Admission as Advocate and Solicitor Number’ (AAS No) on the registration form.
For more information on SILE’s CPD Scheme, please visit: www.silecpdcentre.sg
Attending the Mediation Advocacy: How to be an Effective Lawyer during Mediation qualifies all Singapore businesses for tax deductions / allowances or cash payouts from the Productivity and Innovation Credit (PIC) Scheme administered by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS), subject to the terms and conditions. For more information on the PIC scheme, please visit the IRAS website here.
Please note that SMC retains the right to cancel a workshop and to make changes to the details published without prior notice.