With its 20-year track record, SMC is the training expert in the field of negotiation, mediation and conflict management in Singapore and the region. SMC has conducted workshops in countries such as Fiji, Malta, Jordan, China, Myanmar, the Philippines etc. Our workshops are highly rated. For instance, in one workshop for the Ministry of Education, 100% of participants rated it as either excellent or very good.
Our trainers bring with them the best of both worlds — an Asian sensitivity to cultural nuances in mediation and a background in the Harvard model of interest-based negotiations. They use proven teaching methods and hands-on lessons to liven up the classes. SMC runs workshops for organisations in Singapore weekly.
International Mediation Institute Certification
Office: 6332 4366
1. Application Administrative Fee *
- $321.00 (includes GST)
*Payable upon application, non-refundable
2. QAP Fee **
- $1,070.00 (includes GST)
3. Feedback Digest **
- S$374.50 (includes GST) for first digest
- $160.50 (includes GST) for each subsequent update
**Only for IMI Certified Mediator application
Please note the charges quoted above are separate from the annual membership fee payable to SIMI.
SMC mediation training program is recognised under IMI Certified Mediator Training Program (CMTP) and IMI Qualifying Assessment Program (QAP).
If you are keen to be IMI Qualified Mediator or IMI Certified Mediator, contact us for more information.
IMI Certified Mediator Training Program (CMTP)
Mediators who fulfills the following criteria may apply to be IMI Qualified Mediator under this program.
Our CMTP is open to all applicants who fulfil these criteria:
- Complete Strategic Conflict Management for Professionals (Module 1)*
- Complete Strategic Conflict Management for Professionals (Module 2)
- Pass the Mediation Skills Assessment (MSA)
*Only Strategic Conflict Management for Professionals (Module 1) conducted in Jan 2019 onwards is recognised to have fulfilled IMI's conditions for IMI CMPT.
IMI Qualifying Assessment Program (QAP)
Mediators who fulfills the following criteria may apply to be IMI Certified Mediator under this program. Being an IMI-certified mediator signals to peers the high professional standards you stand for. It also opens doors: international organisations now consider appointing IMI-certified mediators and regard non-partisan reviews (in Feedback Digests) as a measure of your credibility.
IMI certifies mediators to assure quality and professionalism in the field. Being an IMI-certified mediator means:
- You are at a high and transparent practice standard, and you are an aspirational example to others.
- Your profile is listed along with a Feedback Digest. Written by reviewers who have worked with you, the feedback gives objective summaries of your performance, lending credibility when read by your future clients.
- Your profile is listed on the IMI website — a useful reference for clients to better understand your style, non-mediation skills and other traits. In short, how you would suit a mediation case.
- A non-service provider, IMI is listed in search engines which provider rosters cannot reach. The IMI Certified Mediator search engine is the only mediator listing embedded in the Kluwer Corporate Counsel Online Mediation Service.
- Certification brings in work. International organisations now consider appointing IMI-certified mediators and regard Feedback Digests as critical when doing so.
Experienced mediators who are keen to be IMI Certified Mediators can do so through the Qualifying Assessment Programme (QAP) at SMC.
Our QAP is open to all applicants who fulfil these criteria:
- 20 SMC or SMC-endorsed full-scale mediations or 200 hours of experience in SMC or SMC-endorsed full-scale mediations
- within 3 years preceding in the application
- have a high settlement rate
- Produce a mediation log of the number, dates, duration and subject matter of the mediations
- Submit Feedback From participants from a minimum of 10 mediations in SMC or SMC-endorsed mediations.
- Successfully complete a one-hour written test (either essay question, short case-studies or combination of both)
- Go through a one-hour interview with an SMC assessor to review the written test with the option of supplementary questions
These are assessed in actual mediation or role play simulation.
- Evaluation Form by an independent SMC assessor
- A written self-reflection of the said mediation
- Interview with SMC to review the mediation
SMC is committed to promoting diversity and will make accessible its QAP to any experienced mediator who meets the rigorous criteria for IMI Certification under this programme.
SMC’s QAP is conducted all year round. SMC will take about 1 month to process each application for admission to our IMI QAP. The outcome will be released via email or post. A one-time, non-refundable administrative fee of $321.00 (includes GST) applies for each application.
IMI Qualified Mediator
IMI Certified Mediator
**The interviews will be done on a separate day, which will include a review of the written test and role-play assessment.
Application for SMC’s QAP Assessment is open all year round. We take about two to three weeks to process each application and the outcome will be announced by email or post.
Please download and submit the completed forms following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. IMI QAP Application Form [Applicable for both levels]
2. Feedback From [Applicable for only IMI Certified Mediator application]
3. Case Tracking Summary [Applicable for only IMI Certified Mediator application]