Through years of experience, SMC has established itself as a training expert in the field of negotiation, mediation and conflict management in Singapore and the region. Our workshops are highly-rated for their proven teaching methodologies, interactive content and highly energised teaching environment.
International Mediation Institute Certification
Application Administrative Fee (Payable upon application, non-refundable)
QAP Fee (Payable upon IMI certification)
The International Mediation Institute (IMI) is the only organization in the world to transcend local jurisdictions to develop global, professional standards for experienced mediators, advocates and others involved in collaborative dispute resolution and negotiation processes. IMI also convenes stakeholders, promotes understanding and disseminates skills, all in a non-service provider capacity.
IMI provides certification to mediators to help promote quality assurance and professionalism in mediation. Benefits of being an IMI certified mediator:
- Being certified at a high and transparent practice standard sets a vital aspiration example for others. This upholds both professional standards and user expectations.
- IMI certified mediators have their profile listed, along with a Feedback Digest. The feedbacks are honest and objective summaries of your performance, written by reviewers who have worked with you. This gives more credibility to the review when read by your future clients.
- IMI certified mediator profiles listed on the IMI website are useful for clients to better understand a mediator’s suitability in terms of style, non-mediation skills and other characteristics.
- IMI is a non-service-providing body and is listed in search engines where provider rosters cannot reach. IMI Certified Mediator search engine is the only mediator listing embedded in the Kluwer Corporate Counsel Online Mediation Service.
- Certification does bring in work. Many international organizations now consider appointing IMI certified mediators and regard Feedback Digests as critical when appointing mediators.
For more information, please click here.
Experienced mediators who are interested to be IMI Certified Mediators can now do so through the Qualifying Assessment Programme (QAP) at SMC.
SMC’s QAP is open to all applicants who fulfill the following criteria:
- 20 SMC or SMC-endorsed full scale mediations or 200 hours of mediation experience in SMC or SMC-endorsed mediations
- within 3 years preceding the application
- possess high settlement rate
- Produce a mediation log of the number, dates, duration, and subject matter of the mediations
- Submit feedback from participants from minimum 10 mediations using SMC's Survey Form in SMC or SMC-endorsed mediations
- Successfully complete a one-hour written test (either essay question, short case-studies or combination of both)
- Undergo an interview (one hour) with an SMC assessor to review the written test with the option of supplementary questions
Mediation skills assessed in actual mediation or role play simulation.
- Evaluation Form by an independent SMC assessor.
- A written self-reflection of the said mediation.
- Interview with SMC to review the mediation.
SMC is committed to promoting diversity and will make accessible its QAP to any experienced mediator who is able to meet the rigorous criteria for IMI Certification under this programme.
SMC’s QAP is conducted all year round. SMC will take about 2 - 3 weeks to process each application for admission to SMC’s IMI QAP. The outcome of the application will be made known to the applicant via email or post. A one-time, non-refundable administrative fee of S$214.00 (inclusive of GST) is payable for each application.